Following a drop in the 1990s, the percentage of youth committing suicide has been growing every year. Although no one knows why, numerous experts believe that today’s teenagers and youth suffer more stress at home or school, are concerned about financial concerns for their households, and consume more drugs and alcohol.
And, with the arrival of social media, the rate of increase may have accelerated even further. The goal is not to point fingers at any one cause of depression, but to provide assistance in understanding why the curve is proving difficult to flatten.
Alarming Statistic On Depression And Its Cause Amongst Teenagers and Youth
Here are some alarming facts concerning adolescent depression. Teen and teenage suicides have continued to grow drastically in recent years, according to renowned suicide experts. Consider the following scary statistics:
- Every hundredth minute, a teen commits suicide.
- Suicide is the third greatest cause of mortality among adolescents aged 15 to 24.
- Before reaching maturity, around 20% of all teenagers suffer depression.
- Symptoms affect 10 to 15% of the population at any given moment.
- Only 30% of depressed adolescent patients are receiving treatment.
Some teenagers are more vulnerable to depression and suicide than many others. These are well-known variables:
- Female adolescent depression is twice as common as male adolescent depression.
- Teens who have been abused or mistreated are especially vulnerable.
- Adolescents with chronic diseases or other physical issues are particularly vulnerable.
- Teens with a familial history of psychiatric problems: between 20 and 50 percent of depressed teens have a close relative who suffers from depression or another mental condition.
- Youth with underlying mental or drug-abuse problems: around two-thirds of teens with significant depression also have another mood illness or substance misuse.
- Young individuals who have encountered trauma or disturbances at home, such as divorce or the loss of a parent.
Parental And Media Mistakes
According to some specialists, parents have raised teenagers to have unreasonable expectations. Alongside messages from current media sources that indicate we should constantly feel happy, they claim that many parents have not yet educated their children on the coping mechanisms they need to live in turbulent times.
Experts are particularly concerned about the involvement of environmental variables such as processed fast-casual diets and the risk of increased toxicity exposure. She hypothesizes that, even if our brains are identical to those of previous research participants, our hurried lifestyles, environmental contaminants, and other problems may enhance the stress elements that contribute to sadness.
Treatment And Countermeasures
Although adults face challenges, it is also their responsibility to ensure that the youth have access to resources and treatment to counteract depression. There are red flags that can be seen when a young person is suffering from any mental disorders/challenges. An adult should be able to reach out to this young person and find help where they lack the expertise to do so. A common treatment for adolescent depression is a combination of talk therapy (psychotherapy) and medication, with cannabidiol from companies such as Organic CBD Nugs also generating interest for the relief of symptoms of depression.
In the case that you cannot identify the signs, let’s discuss some of the common ones.
Signs Of Depression
- Despair or hopelessness
- Self-esteem issues
- Lethargicness (less active)
- Abuse of substances
- Spending hours alone
- A decline in their desire to perform activities they used to enjoy
- Ailments of the body (headaches, eating disorders, unusual sleeping hours)
- School-related issues
- Discussing death or suicide (please do not ignore)
- Not concerned with appearance
- attempting to flee from home
Suicide Risk Identification And Prevention
Suicide threats should be treated seriously. If you or anyone else around you is in urgent danger due to suicidal thoughts, please dial 911 instantly.
If you’re not a resident in the United States, please dial your local emergency number. There is always assistance accessible. Continue to speak with the operator while you wait for assistance. Remember (or reassure your loved ones) that some people are concerned about you.
If you feel that you’re not in imminent danger but would like to talk to anyone about your suicidal thoughts, call the National or local Suicide Prevention Helpline. Identifying red flags may save a life.
Depression control and suicide prevention prompt us to come up with solutions and initiatives to assist others. Whether it is at a local religious centre, a local cafe, or a well-established psychotherapy institute, we should work together to prevent this epidemic. Most of us are not well aware of matters of group therapy, but some experts are, so consider contacting these individuals and requesting regular help from them.
Set up a support system and be patient with your members as they slowly open up to your solutions. For seat needs, consider contacting a plastic chair company to get rid of the middlemen costs associated with the purchase.
You could also engage the youth with constructive activities that keep them engaged as they slowly recover. Consider offering non-alcoholic solutions for their cosmetics like perfumes. Reach out to a wholesale perfume package box manufacturer for the best deals. To ease your purchase process, reach out to a product source for assistance.
The Bottom Line
According to experts, kids appear to be feeling more gloomy than in prior years. Teens believe they are invincible, so when they experience psychological distress, they are more likely to be overcome by hopelessness and the sense that they have no control over their life.
A new study indicates that 5 times many more teenagers and youth are coping with stress and other psychiatric issues than teenagers of the same age were questioned during Great Depression. Implementing the above-mentioned solutions is a good step towards addressing the curve.
Follow – https://viraldigimedia.com for More Updates