The significant evidence of technological innovation is the Thermo compression bonding technique that can connect different ultra-fine wires. This process can extensively link up two wires of similar diameter and material and on the other hand, it is effective to team up if one wire is even twelve times thicker than the other wire or of different metals.
The demand for miniaturized and microscopic parts such as transducers and sensors is raising in this modern era. In order to build these components, it is important to join the ultra-fine wires. Ultra-fine wires also have other usages such as the manufacturing of state-of-the-art micro-motion control and positioning systems to wind coils.
The traditional way of joining two wires follow two methods such as welding method or melting the wires together and soldering method or applying another metal of low melting point to join the wires. The most important thing is that with the emergence of Thermo compression bonding, traditional methods have been replaced, and the micro soldering methods of the Thermo compression process have the ability to join ultra-fine wires of 9 microns that is 5 to10 times smaller than the diameter of human hair. On the other hand, there are several physical and environmental challenges that the traditional methods are failing to overcome. No longer traditional methods can afford the ultra-strict tolerance requirements that the components may need.
Usages of Thermo compression bonding:
Thermo compression bonding has significant usages for connecting-
- Ultrafine wires through miniature copper thermocouples.
- Two different metals of micro-coils using thicker intermediate wires in a printed circuit board.
- Micro-coils using metal-plated terminals to a support system.
This thermal pressure bonding technology provides corrosion-free, strain-free, and high reliable joints in the formation of molecular connections. Compare to the traditional welding and soldering method, this process is economical. Besides lower manufacturing costs, this process is effective for its readiness for incorporation into mass production processes. This process also has significant utility in medical applications for its high standards. In order to make disposal and long-life products, for instance, permanent implants, this process is efficient.
Micro compression thermal bonding provides several benefits such as-
- Lower noise level.
- Strain-releif connections.
- Safer procedure to protect sensitive components.
- Oxidization free reliable connection.
- The utility of mass production reduces production costs.
- Automated manufacturing procedure to eliminate human errors.
Applications of this technology:
Micro-coils and ultra-fine wire technology has significant application in several fields such as-
- In order to control and monitor implanted pace-makers and to prepare the components of deep brain stimulations, for instance, to make the devices for pain management.
- In therapeutic applications to prepare the devices of electricity-based extirpations and the appliances in electrophysiology treatments.
- To make pulsed electromagnets in orthopedic and dental treatment.
- To prepare the sensors for navigation and orientation and this process is valuable for stent positioning, targeted radiation catheters, targeted drug delivery, implanted markers, highly accurate ablations, and endoscopic manipulation.
- The technology is also useful for wireless communication with miniature sensor implants in the diagnostic sector.
This advanced technology of thermo compression bonding has significant future value for the variety of applications and increasingly widespread utility.